5. The amount of investment in fermentation base has doubled
In 2021, Ferment-based New Protein has raised a total of $1.69 billion. This is a 285% increase from 2020 and represents 60% of the vertical’s total cumulative funding.
6. Many countries are investing in fermentation bases and seeking opportunities
There are now at least one fermentation-based new protein start-up in 25 countries.
7. There are too many plant-based companies to count accurately
There are at least 780 companies worldwide engaged in the development of plant-based meat, seafood, eggs and dairy products. Note: This count applies to companies primarily focused on plant-based meat innovation, excluding large food companies that include plant-based protein lines.
8. Growing demand for plant-based products in the U.S.
The U.S. plant-based retail market is valued at $7.4 billion in 2021. In 2020, it was valued at between $5 billion and $7 billion (due to conflicting reports). According to the Kearney study, if the industry can achieve parity with its animal-derived counterparts, it will see more growth.
9. Plant-based investment reaches a new high
Plant-based meat, seafood, egg and dairy companies raised a combined $1.93 billion in 2021, or 30% of the industry’s total funding history.