1. Textured soy proteins can be fortified with vitamins, minerals, and other supplements to provide balanced nutrition in the final canned product.
2. The extruded products are dried to less than 8% moisture and under normal storage conditions have a shelf-life of about one year. Freezers or cold storage are not required.
3. Textured vegetable proteins maintain their structure upon hydration and provide a meat-like texture.
4. They normally absorb two to three times their weight in water and have good fat-absorption properties.
5. They have low bacteria counts in comparison to meats.
6. The products can be coloured, flavoured, and sized to resemble a wide variety of food products.
7. They allow canners a means of making meat-like canned products in the off-season, thereby allowing year-around utilisation of equipment.